Photo sharing has come a long way. 20 years ago the process of taking, processing, and distributing a photo could take weeks or longer. Now, mobile apps such as Instagram allow us share photos in seconds. What follows is a brief history of photo sharing—where we’ve been and where we’re going.
Want to display this infographic on your site?
- The first cell phone picture was sent in 1997 by Phillipe Kahn using a jury-rigged cell phone. »tweet«
- In 2007 it was determined that global data storage had reached nearly 300 exabytes (about 300 million terabytes). »tweet«
- Foursquare grew 3400% in 2010, and by 1/2011 had 6 million users. »tweet«
- In 2011, Twitter saw 100 million active users each month, half of which logged in every day. »tweet«
- By May 2011, over 5 billion blog posts had been made on the Tumblr platform. »tweet«